EnvironmentCounts.org ... in briefEnvironmentCounts.org (EC) is a not-for-profit organization which is run entirely by volunteers.
Everyone is welcome to the Environment Counts community to read articles and other material and follow the links provided to the original articles, data and information sources.
1. AimEC explores issues on the environment based on the best available evidence. Primary data is our gold standard.
EC does not advocate any particular position. This site is for those who have an interest in informing themselves with the best available evidence, and for those who may feel that they do not know who or what to believe when it comes to the environment.
2. Niche and VisionThere are many web sites on environmental issues. These sites are hosted by individuals, corporations, NGOs, governments, government agencies, and international organizations/agencies. Many of these sites have positions on the issues, many are not independent, many are politicized, some are specious, and some are difficult to read and understand.
Our vision is for EC to be an independent, understandable and trustworthy source of the best available evidence on environmental matters, allowing people to make their own informed judgments. Our target audience is people who are not environmental specialists.
EC efforts are guided by a clear credo and strong operating principles, put into operation by a network of volunteers organized through a transparent governance process. Anyone wishing to participate in the EC community and contribute articles must understand and agree to abide by the credo and operating principles.
3. CredoWe are independent. We are not aligned to any government, company or lobby group.
We strive for objectivity and balance in all our efforts.
We concentrate on contributions to knowledge based on the best available evidence.
Primary data is our gold standard.
We place a high value on clarity in our language and presentation.
We try to be inclusive; reaching and involving people in many countries and many disciplines.
We try to be global in scope; dealing with local, national and international environmental issues.
4. Key Operating PrinciplesIn keeping with our vision and credo, EC has a strict set of operating rules:
- EC is a formal organization operating with formal rules.
- Rules of scientific dialogue are paramount.
- EC operates with transparent and controlled processes.
- EC efforts are entirely voluntary – there is no payment for any contribution.
- Volunteers participate as individuals (contributors, editors, site administrators and board members), not as representatives of any organization.
- EC operates with a collaborative, consensus-seeking approach.